Thursday, August 14, 2008

President's Address - 14 Aug 2008

Date: 14 August 2008 (Thu)
Time: 7.40pm
Venue: Rm 1.08 KDU College

Good evening ladies and gentlemen.

Welcome to D’Utama Advanced Toastmasters Club!

Today I am going to do things a little differently. I am going to begin with a demonstration. May I have a volunteer?

[Demonstration on self-affirmation. Sorry you can’t view it!]

You saw it for yourself. The power of self affirmation, which is a subset of autosuggestion. Negativity breeds negativity. Likewise, positivity breeds positivity.

And we can employ this method for anything in any way, at any time. It doesn’t have to be only for the big things in life. Even simple things in life, such as driving. How many of us here drive? Driving comes very naturally, doesn’t it? You get in the car, turn the ignition, engage the gear and you’re off. Very methodical. Very simple.

Not at all. I had my driver’s license for ten years. But never used it. I was afraid. I was fortunate that I have a good friend. She was patient enough to teach me how to drive again. And in her Mercedes at that!

When I finally had enough to courage to drive alone again, I would go to work in my car, Madison. Maddy and I cruised the streets of PJ together. One day, my friend asked me why I always took the longer route home. I was afraid. To cross the busy junction behind my house.

One day, I woke up and told myself I was going to cross that busy junction. I told myself “I can do it.” I didn’t. The next day I told myself again, “I can do it.” Twice. I didn’t. I must have said it a million times to myself before today. And now, I really can.

Self affirmation. Autosuggestion. If there’s anything to learn, I think it’s important for us to make self talk an everyday activity for ourselves. It worked for me. It can for you too.

Thank you.


Best regards,

Deborah Hoe, CTM
President 2008/2009

No comments: